Gallery

Picture Gallery of personalities, racehorses and places of interest featured in the search for Running Rein

The header picture is of The Start of the Memorable Derby of 1844 by John Herring, courtesy of Mrs.Elizabeth Ling, of Fores Gallery

In the lead is Leander, green with white sleeves; followed by The Ugly Buck, black with orange cap.  Next is Voltri, black with white cap; Orlando, purple with orange cap, is on the outside of Ratan, white with red cap; then comes Running Rein, all white; and Bay Momus, all white.  Ionian, all orange, is at the rear.


Escape with his jockey Sam Chifney

Prior to the Running Rein fraud there were a number of dubious incidents on the Turf.  One such incident concerned the Prince of Wales' horse, Escape and his jockey Sam Chifney, in two races at Newmarket.  Starting favourite, Escape finished last, in a field of four.  On the following day, as an outsider in a field of six, he cantered in reversing the previous day's form with Lord Grosvenor's, Skylark.  This reversal of form was not appreciated by the Stewards of The Jockey Club, who instructed the Prince that should he continue to employ Chifney no gentleman would start against him.  These accusations caused the Prince, who refused to dismiss Chifney, to turn his back on Newmarket.

William Crockford

Thomas Rowlandson's caricature of the hell master, William Crockford, owner of Ratan, the second favourite for the Derby, who was reputedly nobbled. 

Sultan

Sultan was bred by William Crockford, and was by far the best horse he ever owned.  He was a winner of fourteen races and finished second in the Derby to the Duke of Portland's, Tiresias.  He was one of the great stallions of the nineteenth century, being champion sire from 1832 to 1837. He was the sire of Bay Middleton, the winner of the Two Thousand Guineas and the Derby, in 1836.

John Gully

John Gully was one of the remarkable racing men of the nineteenth century, rising from the humblest of backgrounds to positions of affluence and honour.  From his humble beginnings as a butcher he became a prizefighter, publican, hell-keeper, bookmaker, racehorse owner and finally a member of Parliament.  He was a great rival of William Cockford, and equally suffered at the hands of the robbers in the 1844 Derby.

Venison


Venison was the sire of The Ugly Buck.  Like Gladiator, whom he finished behind in the Derby, he was by Partisan.  He was one of the finest moulded horses ever seen.  His graceful, sweeping action, great courage, and perfect symmetry, carried his deer-like resemblance to the utmost extent.  Nearly all his stock were small with grey hairs in their coat - The Ugly Buck being an exception.  He was champion stallion on two occasions.

Denton Hall

Denton Hall, near Otley, Yorkshire, birthplace of Thomas, Lord Fairfax (1612-1671), owner of Fairfax's Morocco Barb. The original building was twice destroyed by fire before the present hall was built in 1778. The Ibbetson family, a wealthy land owning and cloth merchanting dynasty, acquired the Hall in 1716 from the 6th Lord Fairfax. It was at Denton Hall that Sir Charles Henry Ibbetson bred the Gladiator colt, eventually named Maccabeus, and who was substituted for Running Rein to win the 1844 Derby. 

Gladiator


Gladiator, the sire of Maccabeus, from a painting by V.J.Cotlison.  He ran only once, being second to Bay Middleton, in the 1836 Derby.  He was favourite for the St.Leger but owing to lameness was unable to run and was retired to stud.  Running Rein (Maccabeus), the illegal winner of the 1844 Derby, was from his first crop.  Gladiator was probably a far better racehorse than his second place in the 1836 Derby would suggest.  He was one of the great stallions of the nineteenth century, and a tremendous influence in France through his son, Fitz-Gladiator.  He was the sire of Queen Mary, one of the most influential broodmares of the nineteenth century.  In France he sired two winners of the Prix du Jockey Club and three winners of the Prix de Diane.

Queen Mary and Blink Bonny

Queen Mary was a daughter of Gladiator.  She was one of the truly great broodmares of the nineteenth century, who founded a dynasty that still thrives to this day.  She was the dam of the amazing Blink Bonny, one of the few fillies to have won both the Derby and the Oaks.  The recent Two Thousand Guineas winners, Rock of Gibraltar and Refuse to Bend; and the St.Leger winner, Mastery, trace to her in direct female line. Another direct descendant is Peeress, winner of the 2006 Lockinge Stakes, who had her first runner, Ladyship, in 2011. The 2011 Belmont Stakes and Breeder's Cup Classic winner, Drosselmeyer and the 2012 Wood Memorial winner at Aqueduct, Gemologist, are also descendants of Queen Mary, through her second daughter, Braxey.

 

Sutton House
Sutton House


Sutton House at Norton-on-Derwent in North Yorkshire was constructed in 1789 with later alterations in the 19th and 20th centuries.  The stable featured nine stalls that still exist with the original partitions and mangers.  Dr.Charles Cobb bred the genuine Running Rein here and his full sister, Genuine.

Sutton House

The blacksmith's shop, which is at the rear of Sutton House.

The Lodge, Old Maltongate

The Lodge, at Old Malton Gate. Today the house is an hotel. In the 19th century William Allen ran a successful breeding establishment from here. Gladiator and the Capsicum mare, sire and dam of Maccabeus, stood here.



Castlegate, Malton

Castlegate, Malton, just before it crosses the Derwent. In the 19th century this part of Castlegate was named Low Street, where Dr.Cobb had his Practice.



The Saddler The Saddler

Mr.Wagstaff’s, The Saddler, sire of the real Running Rein, with his trainer Leonard Hessletine and jockey Jem Chapple, at Doncaster.  In 1831 The Saddler won the York St.Leger, was placed second in the Doncaster St.Leger, and won the Doncaster Cup.  He was purchased by Squire Osbaldeston and was  fairly well regarded at stud, being the sire of the One Thousand Guineas and Park Hill Stakes winner Sorella, in the same year as the Running Rein fraud.   The Saddler died in 1847 in passage to Ostend on his way to Bohemia.


Running Rein

Maccabeus, alias Running Rein, illegal winner of the 1844 Derby.  After the Derby he was acquired by the veterinary surgeon, Owen Henry Parry, who changed his name to Zanoni.  He ran unsuccessfully as a genuine five-year-old in the Ascot Gold Vase and York County Cup.   He was exported to Russia, where he was greatly revered as a stallion.


The Golden Lion, Newmarket

The Golden Lion, in Newmarket High Street.  Running Rein was taken to the stables at the rear, to be examined, following the objection to his victory in the Fifty Pound Plate.  The Duke of Rutland requested the horse’s teeth be examined but Goodman refused, preferring to call on witnesses to support the qualification of the horse.  William Cooper, the trainer of Orlando, also had his stables at the rear of The Golden Lion.

Letter from Dr Charles Cobb

Letter from Dr.Charles Cobb, the breeder of The Saddler colt, the genuine Running Rein, to Sir Gilbert Heathcote, the senior Steward at Epsom, describing the colouring of the horse. (Courtesy Weatherbys)



Letter from Sir Gilbert Heathcote and Baron de Tessier

Letter from Sir Gilbert Heathcote and Baron de Tessier requesting Weatherbys to withhold payment of the Derby Stake to Alexander Wood. (Courtesy Weatherbys)



Orlando

Orlando, the ultimate winner of the 1844 Derby.  Although Orlando was not favoured among correspondents for the Derby, he proved himself to be a very good horse.  He was champion stallion on three occasions.

 

Hoof of Orlando

Hoof of Orlando, winner of the 1844 Derby. Courtesy of Michael Bell.



Orlando and Running Rein

Orlando and Running Rein: two excellent specimens of the thoroughbred racehorse.  Orlando was described as the most beautiful of all Touchstone’s sons; whilst Running Rein, under his new name of Zanoni, when exported to Russia, as a stallion, was very much admired and considered a horse of very great style and beauty.

Touchstone

Touchstone, sire of Orlando, was one of the great racehorses of the mid-19th century.  He won the St.Leger and was twice a winner of the Doncaster and Ascot Gold Cups.  Neither distance nor the state of the ground made any difference to him.  He never began well but he could stay forever and his immense speed soon brought him to the fore.

Court of Exchequer

The Court of Exchequer, where the Running Rein Trial took place on 1st and 2nd July 1844.

Baron Alderson


Baron Alderson oversaw the Trial at the Court of Exchequer.  He was well versed in racing and had visited John Scott’s establishment at Whitewall, Malton.  He made a number of amusing quips during the proceedings, but he was an astute lawyer, who was not to be trifled with.  He demanded production of the horse, indicating it was a case of horse-stealing, and if he discovered the culprits he would transport them for life.

Sir Alexander Cockburn

Sir Alexander Cockburn, who represented Mr.Wood.   He made the extraordinary request to Baron Alderson, to remove all the witnesses from the court, especially Lord George Bentinck, whom he considered to be a hostile witness.  But the judge refused this as Bentinck had been subpoenaed by the Plaintiff.


Sir Frederick Thesiger

Sir Frederick Thesiger, the Solicitor General, who represented Colonel Peel.  In Court he was able to produce the memorandum of agreement between Goodman and Ferguson for the hire of Goneaway, and the metamorphosing dye that Goodman had purchased from Mr.Rossi, to dye Goneaway’s leg.


Lord George Bentinck

Lord George Bentinck, who was the real force behind pursuing the Running Rein fraud.  Bentinck was seen as a great reformer of the Turf, but in reality his reforms were only for the benefit of making more money.  In fact he was little better than the rogues he pursued, although according to his cousin, Charles Greville, he believed he would not commit a deliberate act of dishonesty.


Sywell House

Sywell House, Northamptonshire, where George Worley farmed 369 acres of land. The construction of the house indicates it was originally built in medieval times, with Georgian and Victorian additions.

The paddock at Sywell House

The paddock at Sywell House, where the Gladiator colt (Maccabeus) was probably kept during his stay with George Worley. Worley was in debt to Henry Higgins for a few pounds and agreed to keep the Gladiator colt (Maccabeus) in his paddock to liquidate the debt.



Church Lane, Sywell

The lane passing Sywell House.  Legend has it that the ghost of Maccabeus is said to haunt the lane; one version even going to the lengths that he is said to be pulling a cart in ignomy, with his head held in shame.  A lovely story to fit this notorious episode in Turf history, but, of course, completely untrue.

Vigo Cottage

Vigo Cottage, Northampton, where Henry Higgins lived with his two cousins, William and John Knight Higgins. Vigo Cottage was at the first bend on the Bedford Road facing Becket’s Park, Northampton.





Rule relating to the examination of the age of young horses

Rule relating to the examination of the age of young horses. The Stewards were obviously unaware of this rule. Had they been so they could have insisted Goodman allow Running Rein to be examined at the Houghton inquiry, following his win in the Fifty Pound Plate; and the subsequent fraud would never have taken place. (Courtesy of Weatherbys)



Count Branicki

Count Branicki, who imported Zanoni (ex Maccabeus) into Russia.  He had a vast stud, with approximately 700 mares.


Nat Flatman

Elnathan “Nat” Flatman, who rode Orlando to eventual victory in the Derby.  Nat joined William Cooper’s stable at the age of fifteen, riding his first winner at the age of nineteen and his last at forty-nine.  He was leading jockey from 1846 to 1852.  Nat was described as the most faithful and honest servant, always riding scrupulously to orders.

Nat Flatman's Grave

Nat Flatman’s grave in All Saint’s Churchyard, Newmarket. To the rear lies the grave of Patrick Connoly who won the Derby in 1834 on Plenipotentiary, and in 1841 on Coronation.



Priam Lodge Stables

Priam Lodge Stables, on Burgh Heath Road, Epsom, in the mid 1890’s – around fifty years on from when Running Rein was trained here by William Smith.